Istimara is the vehicle registration with transportation department (Muroor) that works under the ministry of Interior (MOI) in KSA. It determines who is the owner or the user of the vehicle. The number plates and registration certificate are issued after the vehicle registration process completes successfully.
You must travel while having Istimara in hand because it is a necessary requirement. The traffic police officials can demand it at any check point.
What is Istimara In Saudi Arabia
Istimara is an Arabic word that means ‘Registration’. However, in Saudi Arabia, it is widely termed as the vehicle registration card that contains all the relevant details like the vehicle’s chassis number, color, manufacturing year, registration number, owner’s name etc.
The following details are written on the istimara card.
- المالک المستخدم – Owner’s Name
- ھویة المالک – Owner’s Iqama Number
- رقم الھیکل – Chassis Number
- رقم اللوحة – Number Plate / Registration Number
- مارکة المرکبة – Manufacturing Brand
- وزن المرکبة – Vehicle’s Weight
- اللون – Color
- الرقم التسلسلی – Vehicle Sequence Number
- نوع التسجیل – Registration Type
- طراز المرکبة – Vehicle’s Model
- حمولة المرکبة – Number of Seats
- سنة الصنع – Manufacturing Year
On the vehicle registration card, the validity date is not mentioned. However you can check istimara validity date through Absher platform. For a new vehicle, the expiry of vehicle registration is 3 years. The same validity applies upon istimara renewal.
It should be renewed before its validity date ends to avoid fines and penalties. However, muroor gives a grace period of 30 days after the expiry. In addition to that, you can renew vehicle registration 6 months before it is going to expire.
The cost of the istimara for different categories is as follows,
- For Renewal – SAR 100 + VAT (Value Added Tax)
- For New Registration – SAR 100 + VAT
- Lost/Theft or Torn – SAR 100 +VAT
Check Istimara Online
In the Absher portal, all details related to vehicle registration are present. Simply log in to your account and under ‘My Vehicles’ menu, you can check istimara online. You can also transfer the ownership of the vehicle.
Here is the procedure.
- Log in to Absher web portal
- On the main page, click on ‘Dashboard’
- Click on More Details’ in ‘Vehicles’ Menu
- On the next page you can check all the details.